We are looking for a talented aerospace engineer with experience of optical measurement techniques to provide technical expertise within the Aerodynamics Capability department. ARA has experience of using multiple optical techniques for flow diagnostic purposes such as PSP, PIV, BOS and DIC.
The successful candidate would be working alongside a multi-disciplinary team of highly-skilled engineers to provide input into the design, development, and use of experimental rigs, equipment and techniques pertinent to testing and optical data acquisition within the ARA Transonic Wind Tunnel, and ARA’s other facilities.
The role requires analysis and interpretation of large experimentally derived data sets, providing insight into aerodynamic phenomena and the physics behind them. The successful applicant may be required to lead project teams in a Technical Management capacity, and to act as a point of contact for technical discussion with customers and suppliers from across the world. As part of this activity it will be expected that the candidate is able to support testing at ARA and may be expected to work on a shift pattern on occasion. This role will also involve the production of price/time estimates and proposal documents for research programmes and commercial projects. Additionally, the successful applicant may be required to provide input and support to other experimental and numerical tasks which may not be related to optical measurement techniques.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Provide input into the design and use of experimental rigs and equipment pertinent to optical measurement.
- Detailed analysis and interpretation of large experimental data sets.
- Providing insight into aerodynamic phenomena and the physics behind them.
- Lead project teams in a Technical Management capacity.
- Act as a point of contact for technical discussion with customers and suppliers from across the world.
- Produce of estimates and proposal documents for customer or research based programmes.
- Support to other experimental and numerical tasks relevant to the business.
- Produce written technical reports to accompany analysis and development activities.
Essential Skills and capabilities
- PhD level qualification in aerodynamics or related discipline with evidence of continuing professional development.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant industrial experience.
- High level experience in the analysis and interpretation of large experimental and numerical data sets.
- Experience in a programming language for the development and industrialization of data analysis.
- Willingness to engage with and support customer organizations as well as representing ARA at conferences, workshops, and other external events.
- Able to lead teams of multi-disciplinary engineers.
- Able to act as Technical Manager for large projects.
- Willing to engage with customers and external organizations.
- Able to pass on knowledge and disseminate findings.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and professional team operating in a world-class facility. To apply please send your CV with a covering letter giving your current salary/requirements and outlining your suitability for this role to:
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer