Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
We are looking to recruit an experienced and motivated Mechanical Technician to work as part of the integrated Engineering Services Team, reporting to the Team Leader and responsible for carrying out planned and reactive maintenance to the facility including installation and modification of the facility.
Salary Range: £26,000 – £32,000 (plus shift premium and depending on experience)
Typical working hours: Full time, 40 hours per week, shift work (typical hours are 06:30 – 14.30 and 14.00 – 22:00 on a rotating basis)
- Carry out inspections, maintenance and repairs of the equipment involved with tunnel testing and mechanical services (planned maintenance).
- Responsible for the repair of plant and equipment during breakdown including fault-finding in accordance with supervisory instructions (reactive maintenance).
- Be responsible for the installation of new plant and equipment in accordance with supervisory instructions and share ideas on design and implementation improvements, as appropriate.
- Compliance with Health, Safety and Environmental procedures providing appropriate input into the preparation of and adherence to risk assessments and method statements.
- Compliance with site security procedures
- Member of Emergency Response team
What do we need from you?
- Mechanical Apprenticeship and/or significant demonstrated experience of installing, maintaining, repairing and inspecting industrial plant equipment and systems, such as:
- High Pressure compressed air systems.
- Water cooling & treatment systems.
- Plant lubrication and hydraulic systems.
- Mechanical machinery and infrastructure, including rotating/reciprocating components (gears, chains, linkages and actuating rods).
- Team player, capable of coaching and mentoring less experienced employees as well as supervision of apprentices as required
- Flexible and positive attitude, willing to go that extra mile to meet deadlines/schedules
- Attention to detail in terms of quality of work
- Drive and commitment to improve own skills and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working
- Self-motivated with good communication and can-do attitude to overcome issues that arise
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.