Safety, Health, Environment (SHE) Advisor
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
ARA is a unique SME originally built in the 1950s and represents some of the best engineering of the age. We are proud to have a passionate workforce of highly skilled engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are the leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Our site in Bedford centres around our impressive transonic wind tunnel – the equipment which drives it – whilst the research performed is often unique to ARA and involves many bespoke processes.
Due to continued growth, we now have the opportunity to recruit an experienced and motivated Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Advisor to join our compliance team, reporting into the SHE Manager.
Salary range: £30,000 – £50,000 (depending on experience)
Typical hours: Full time, 38 hours per week
What you will get the chance to do:
- Support the development, maintenance and/or deployment of the SHE management systems (including objectives, processes and assurance) that compliment requirements of the business operational framework and International SHE standards, such as ISO14001, which supports the achievement of organisational goals.
- Provide competent and comprehensive SHE advice and support to Managers within the business, enabling them to effectively manage SHE within their area/s of responsibility.
- Carry out incident investigations to establish the root cause and to prevent further occurrence. Challenging and escalating concerns and/or unresolved issues. Monitoring the completion of any actions and recommendations made.
- Carry out internal audits to ensure that the business is compliant with SHE regulations.
- Assist in the creation and review of suitable and sufficient risk assessments and method statements for all areas of the business and from customers and contractors.
- Carry out SHE training, such as new starter inductions and tool box talks.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, influencing them to appropriately consider SHE factors during decision making.
What we would like to see:
- NEBOSH General certificate or equivalent.
- NEBOSH Environmental certificate or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience within a similar role and industry.
- Have a comprehensive and technical understanding of SHE management standards and practices, and relevant HSE regulatory knowledge.
- Have an in-depth understanding of SHE internal and external best practice and be able to use that knowledge in order to improve operational standards.
- Be a trained SHE auditor.
- Use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established organisation, operating in an excellent facility. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme, free parking, employee assistance programme, private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service).
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.