Senior Design Engineer (Grade 4A)
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
We are looking to recruit an experienced and ambitious Senior Design Engineer to complement our established Design and Manufacturing facility. Reporting to the Design Team Leader, the successful candidate must have knowledge of modern manufacturing techniques, be a self-starter, organised, able to prioritise and used to working under pressure. Applicant should also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work individually and as part of a team.
Salary range: £40,000 – £50,000 (depending on experience)
Typical hours: Full time, 38 hours per week
This is a varied and demanding role and it involves a number of duties and responsibilities:
- A technical authority and mentor
- Produce 3D and 2D CAD of parts and assemblies using Catia V5
- Reporting using FEA, FMEA, design calculations and part certification
- Support manufacture of wind tunnel test subject components, sub-assemblies & associated rigs
- Complete load and stress calculations leading to taking responsibility for part and material spec
- Design for manufacture (inc.5-axis machining, instrumentation and sensor requirements)
- Contribute to and on occasion lead project launch, design review and project wash-up meetings
- Identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Observe ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety procedures
- Regular communication with team members, suppliers, customers and other departments
What we would like to see:
- Demonstrable knowledge of GD&T, FEA, DFMEA and stress calculation
- Keeping projects within budget and to project schedule
- Highly CAD proficient, as well as Microsoft Office software
- Ability to support and develop less experienced engineers, and supporting supervisors and line management
- Flexible to changing workloads, a problem solver able to develop/implement workaround solutions
- Committed to self-improvement and receptive to new ideas and ways of working
- Aerospace or aerodynamic application experience
- A R&D/testing background
- Experience of project management tools and methodologies
- Familiarity of 6 Sigma specifically experience of 5S and LEAN manufacturing principals
- Knowledge of MRP systems, and high speed aerodynamics testing
- Catia V5
The successful candidate will have 5 years’ relevant experience, with a qualification in related Mechanical Engineering or technical discipline (degree preferred). There are excellent opportunities for career development.
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and highly skilled engineering company, working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In return we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme, flexible working options (normal hours are 0800hrs to 1621hrs); free parking, employee assistance programme, private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service).
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.