CNC Programmer / Operator (Grade 5)
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
Due to continued business growth, we are looking to recruit an experienced and motivated CNC Programmer/Operator to work as part of a determined and professional team, producing high-value one-off components. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing high-value 1-off wind tunnel model components. Primary responsibilities include off-line CNC milling (3 and 5 axis) programming using Delcam, Powermill and Powershape and on-line programming, setting and operating CNC machines (3, 4 and 5 axis) using Heidenhein.
The ideal applicant will be a time served, fully skilled in the role of as a CNC Setter/Operator.
Typical working hours: Full time, 38 hours per week (shift work may be required)
Salary: £30,000 – £38,000 (depending on experience)
- Complete off-line CNC programming using Delcam Powermill and Powershape, complete online programming using Heidenhein and CNC machine operation
- Ensure regular communication and co-ordination with CNC Section Team Leader, CNC Technical Lead and other areas to ensure understanding of progress with CNC parts
- Operate multiple machines when required
- Make recommendations on observations for process improvement techniques and hardware operation
- Proficient writing off-line milling programmes using Delcam PowerMill and PowerShape (2018 and 2019). Must have knowledge of: Importing of geometry, Modelling of supports/fixtures, establishing tooling and clamping sequences, creating optimum cutter paths, determining optimal speeds and feeds, Posting programs to vertical milling machines, extension of geometry lines
- Proficient and experienced CNC Setter / Operator
- Fully conversant with Heidenhein controls
- Experience of tightly toleranced bespoke component manufacture
- A team player, confident and capable of mentoring and coaching less experienced CNC Programming/Setter/Operating staff.
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and highly skilled engineering company, working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary, shift and overtime premium, where applicable; pension scheme; free parking; employee assistance programme; private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing after 5 years’ service)
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.