ARA is a unique SME with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
We have an opportunity to recruit an experienced Technical Author / Document Controller whose main responsibility will be to create, deliver, edit and review internal and customer facing technical documentation.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the development of all aspects of document control across the organisation, reviewing current processes, and developing and implementing improvements.
- Role is an 12 months Fixed Term Contract
- Full time, 38 hours per week
This is a new role within the organisation and will initially be focused on documenting recently upgraded systems; as well as, developing a “gold standard” document pack that can be used as a model for future similar packages of work, and retrofitted to other systems across ARA operations.
The key objectives of the role are:
- to increase documentation output and clarity and improve project performance
- to bring some order to the documents that the company produces and retains
- to develop processes for document control
- and to assist with compiling subcontractor documentation.
A detailed job description would be provided if selected for interview
What do we need from you?
The ability to understand a technical narrative in unfamiliar disciplines with guidance from technical experts
- Evident experience as a capable Technical Author by clearing demonstrating essential competencies:
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of engineering documentation standards
- Ability to provide high quality documentation with excellent attention to detail
- Sense of narrative, and ability to translate complex technical messages using simple language, and create user friendly manuals and other documents (in hard copy (paper) and electronic format)
- Evident experience as a Document Controller by clearing demonstrating essential competencies:
- Be able to keep up to date with document management processes
- Understanding of the importance of document control systems in a safety critical environment
Qualifications & Experience:
- Ideally have a university degree or equivalent skills and experience in an engineering or technically demanding discipline.
- Aeronautical Engineering qualification and/or experience, or experience of a similar role for rotating plant or high pressure systems, would be advantageous
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established engineering team, operating in an established facility working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme; flexible working options; an employee assistance programme; private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service)
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.