Metal Model Maker Fitter
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
We are seeking to recruit a motivated Fitter into our Design and Manufacture Department to work as part of a professional team, fitting and assembling tunnel components. Reporting to the Fitting Manager, and under the guidance and support of the Technical Leads, the successful candidate will be a team player, confident individual with a positive attitude.
Salary range: £28,000 to £33,000 per annum (depending upon experience)
Typical hours – Full-time, 38-hours per week
This is a varied and demanding role involving a number of duties and responsibilities:
- Carry out all aspects of fitting activity (hand working surfaces to remove machine marks, blending component joint lines to remove steps/gaps, fitting precision components, installing pressure tubing and assembling models).
- Monitor the serviceability of Fitting Section machines, equipment and tooling, and report potential problems to the Fitting Manager.
- Where appropriate, make recommendations for process improvement in Fitting techniques.
- Undertake additional metal model making as requested by the Fitting Manager when required.
- A time served, fully skilled engineer in the role of a metal model maker.
- Solid understanding of other MMC skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and CNC machining.
- Experienced in the effective and efficient bench fitting of components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Self-motivated and keen to develop engineering skills to full potential.
- Flexible and positive attitude, willing to go the extra mile to ensure deadlines are met.
- High attention to detail.
- Can-do attitude to overcoming technical problems as soon as they arise.
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established precision manufacturing team, operating in an excellent facility. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme, free parking, employee assistance programme, private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service).
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.