ARA is a unique SME with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
We are looking to recruit a motivated fitter to work as part of a professional team, fitting and assembling wind tunnel components. The ideal candidate will be a team player, confident individual with a positive attitude.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel on site.
- Carry out all aspects of fitting activity (hand working surfaces to remove machine marks, blending component joint lines to remove steps/gaps, fitting precision components, installing pressure tubing and assembling models) as directed by the Fitting Section Team Leader.
- Monitor the serviceability of Fitting Section machines, equipment and tooling, and report potential problems to the Fitting Section Team Leader.
- When on shifts, ensure a safe and timely handover of the work in progress to the incoming shift and Team Leader, ensuring that adequate notes and technical advice are available.
- Make recommendations for process improvement in Fitting techniques, where appropriate, to the Fitting Section Team Leader.
- Observe ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety procedures.
- Undertake additional metal model making as requested by the Fitting Section Team Leader or MMC Team Leader when required.
What do we need from you?
- A time served, fully skilled engineer in the role of a metal model maker.
- Solid understanding (at least foundation level) of other MMC skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and CNC machining.
- Experienced in the effective and efficient bench fitting of components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Self-motivated and keen to develop engineering skills to full potential.
- Flexible and positive attitude, willing to go the extra mile to ensure deadlines are met.
- High attention to detail.
- Can-do attitude to overcoming technical problems as soon as they arise.
This is an exciting permanent full-time opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established precision manufacturing team, operating in an established facility working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme; flexible working options; an employee assistance programme; private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service)
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognize the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.