The small scale transonic tunnel is a 1:12 scale version of the Transonic Wind Tunnel (TWT). This facility is used for low cost wind tunnel testing on small models in the early development stages of a new program. It is also used for the calibration of flow angularity meters and other flow survey probes to be used in the TWT.
- Mach number range from 0.3 to 1.2
- Incidence range up to 20˚
- Small strain gauge sting balances
- Wall mounted half model balance
- Pressure measurements using ESP modules
- Provision for Schlieren windows in the test section side walls
- The test section is 22.86 cm (9 in) wide by 20.32 cm (8 in) high with perforated walls of 20% open area.
- The tunnel is powered by an ejector driven from the 10bar (145psi) high pressure air reservoir.
- Supersonic speeds are attained using the flexible nozzle