Senior / Principal Engineers
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
At ARA we are always looking to bring talented people with relevant experience and knowledge into our organisation. We have some interesting and technically demanding projects ahead of us over the coming months, and we are actively seeking talented and motivated Senior or Principal Engineers looking for a new challenge. This represents an exciting opportunity to work alongside dynamic and multi-disciplinary teams among technical experts, acting as technical lead for the procurement of new solutions.
Successful candidates will be working across a wide variety of projects including plant and equipment repair and refurbishment, process improvement, and new equipment, across a broad range of industrial plant and machinery. The projects will vary in scope and technicality, including:
- Rotating machines and associated drives ranging from a few kilowatts to 17MW.
- Hydraulic systems, including hydraulic power units, circuits, and actuators.
- Pneumatic system, including air compressors (ranging from 7 bar to 250 bar), circuits and actuators.
- Cooling systems, including water pumps, heat exchangers, evaporative cooling towers and chillers.
- Air drying systems.
- Lubrication systems.
- Water treatment plant.
- Instrumentation, data acquisition, and signal conditioning.
- Control panel, safety circuits and monitoring systems.
- Low and high voltage systems.
Typical hours: Full time, 38 hours per week
What we would like to see:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 5-10 years of relevant industrial experience
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical engineering procedures, including application of change management and approval, version control, and testing processes
- Knowledge of subcontract management including requirements specification, technical monitoring, acceptance testing and commissioning.
- Demonstrable experience of complying with relevant legislation and standards
- Demonstrable leadership experience of technical projects
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and highly skilled engineering company, working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme; flexible working options (normal hours are 0800hrs to 1621hrs); free parking; employee assistance programme; private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service)
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.