Senior Aerodynamics Engineer
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
We are seeking to recruit a talented and passionate SENIOR AERODYNAMICS ENGINEER into our Aerodynamics department to support our experimental wind tunnel testing operations. Reporting to a Team Leader within Aerodynamics, the successful candidate will be expected to support a wide variety of commercial and research projects from inception to completion through all the stages of preparation, wind tunnel testing and or CFD application, aerodynamic analysis and reporting. This position will be focussed on supporting our experimental testing and any experience of commercial wind tunnel applications and advanced measurement techniques would be highly regarded.
The successful candidate would be working alongside a multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled engineers to provide our customers with high quality aerodynamic data from a variety of equipment and techniques used across the company’s facilities such as ARA’s Transonic Wind Tunnel and High-Performance Computing cluster, among others.
Salary range: £40,000 to £50,000 (depending on experience)
Typical hours – Full-time, 40-hour per week
This is a varied and demanding role and it involves a number of duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will:
- Have a passion for aircraft and aerospace
- Provide proficient technical input and experienced support and guidance within the Project Team
- Deliver projects to the satisfaction of the customer to the required quality standards within time and cost constraints
- Undertake and lead experimental tests in the ARA Transonic Wind Tunnel and other facilities within ARA
- Deal with client requests as appropriate, participate in the preparation of technical bids and oversee aerodynamic, mechanical, computing and programme requirements for wind tunnel and other tests
- Take senior responsibility for data quality and timely provision of results and/or reports to a global client base.
- Conduct analysis and interpretation of aerodynamic datasets.
- Support to other experimental and numerical tasks relevant to the business.
- Produce written technical reports to accompany analysis and development activities
- Be proactive in the on-going development of innovative processes and capability at ARA
- Actively coach others to improve team capabilities
- Represent ARA interests in the UK and overseas at conferences or client meetings as appropriate
- Have a broad understanding within engineering discipline, and good awareness of wider domains and integration issues
- Will hold a Masters (MEng/MSc) or equivalent level degree in an aerospace related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years’ industrial or academic work experience
- Experience of wind tunnel testing
- Demonstrable knowledge of Aerodynamics from a relevant field
- Ability and experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Willingness to engage with both internal and external parties
- Ability to see projects through to completion
- Exhibit confidence to question the status quo and to strive for improvement.
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and highly skilled engineering company. In return we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme, free parking, employee assistance programme, private health insurance and 26 days’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service).
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.