Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is a unique SME and the UK’s leading independent transonic wind tunnel with a passionate workforce of engineering and aerodynamic professionals. We are a leading specialist in aerodynamic research providing complementary services and solutions to international aerospace and defence clients. Our clients include Saab, Bombardier, Boeing, Turkish Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Airbus, Comac and BAE Systems.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising multiple parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the on-site high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel.
Aircraft Research Association (ARA) is the UK’s only transonic wind tunnel and we are looking to recruit a highly skilled and motivated Manager within our Model Manufacturing Facility. The candidates for this role must have experience in the management of complex manufacturing projects and formal PM experience is not a must, but would beneficial.
They will have the incredible opportunity to join a dynamic and versatile team involved in the delivery of manufacturing activities all the while ensuring business targets are successfully delivered. They will be key players in assisting the department with the development and implementation of commercial strategies for the continual improvement of processes, capability and business growth.
Reporting to the Head of Design and Manufacture, the successful candidate must have previous experience of leadership in a manufacturing environment. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about engineering and can demonstrate excellent communication, influencing and technical skills, as this is a role which requires quite a degree of interaction between different stakeholders and business areas.
Salary range: £40,000 – £55,000 (depending on experience)
Typical hours: Full time, 38 hours per week
This is a varied and demanding role and it involves a number of duties and responsibilities, the below is not an exhaustive list and a more detailed job description will be provided before interview:
- Participate in the Design & Manufacture integrated planning process including time and resource estimation in support of Production Engineering and bidding for work.
- Support commercial activity as required both internally and externally i.e. definition of capability for portfolio development, exploration of new technical disciplines and technologies, capability and capacity forecasting and customer contact
- Manage growth i.e. turnover, capability, environment, headcount and market in line with department and company strategies
- Project manage discrete manufacturing work where resource is primarily from within the section
- Develop business cases as required i.e. for asset specification and justification
- Identify inter-departmental resource conflicts and provide guidance and support for solutions
- Manage direct reports by providing regular and timely communication, including regular appraisals, clear and unambiguous instructions and ensure best practice is followed and SMART objectives are achieved
What we would like to see:
- Knowledge of design, manufacturing and production procedures, machines, tools and techniques used in the manufacture of tightly toleranced metallic componentry
- Demonstrate leadership experience of technical projects with a record of delivering within challenging time, quality and cost targets
- Be a minimum of degree qualified
- Experience in the management of a highly technical team
- No less than 5yrs relevant experience
This is an exciting permanent opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and highly skilled engineering company, working 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In return, we offer a range of benefits including: a competitive salary and pension scheme; flexible working options (normal hours are 0800hrs to 1621hrs); free parking; employee assistance programme; private health insurance and 26 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing with length of service after 5 years’ service)
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognise the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please complete the form below.