Due to continued business growth, we are looking to recruit an ambitious and motivated FITTER to work as part of a determined and professional team, fitting and assembling wind tunnel components. The ideal candidate will be a team player, confident individual with a positive attitude.
Typical projects include producing scaled-down military and civilian aircraft models, comprising over 100 parts, which are assembled together and used as highly accurate forces/pressures measuring devices within the high-speed (transonic) wind tunnel on site.
- Carry out all aspects of fitting activity (hand working surfaces to remove machine marks, blending component joint lines to remove steps/gaps, fitting precision components and assembling models, installing pressure tubing) as directed by the Fitting Section TL and/or Leading Hand.
- Monitor the serviceability of Fitting Section machines, equipment and tooling, and report potential problems to the Fitting Section TL.
- When on shifts, ensure a safe and timely handover of the work in progress to the incoming shift and TL, ensuring that adequate notes and technical advice are available.
- Make recommendations for process improvement in Fitting techniques, where appropriate, to the Fitting Section TL.
- Observe ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety procedures.
- Undertake additional metal model making as requested by the Fitting Section Team Leader or MMC Team Leader, from time to time.
- A time served, fully skilled engineer/toolmaker in the role of a metal model maker.
- Solid understanding (at least foundation level) of other MMC skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and CNC machining.
- Experienced in the effective and efficient bench fitting of components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Self-motivated and keen to develop engineering skills to full potential.
- Willing to mentor and coach less experienced staff.
- Flexible and positive attitude, willing to go the extra mile to ensure deadlines are met.
- High attention to detail.
- Drive and commitment to improve own skills, and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working.
- Can-do attitude to overcoming technical problems as soon as they arise.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established precision manufacturing team operating in a world-class facility. In return, we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.