We are seeking to recruit an Engineering Technician whose primary function will be to operate aerodynamic test facilities in a safe, efficient manner, consistent with the needs of customer test requirements. Operation may include equipment calibration, the set-up of specialized measurement/monitoring equipment, model assembly for test, troubleshooting, making and implementing agreed recommendations for improvement and test execution. The main test facility will be ARA’s 9’x8’ transonic wind tunnel but there are complementary facilities which the position will also cover.
The role requires a solid background in mechanical engineering and an appreciation of other engineering disciplines such as instrumentation, control systems, high-pressure hydraulics or pneumatics would be advantageous because you will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the drive and commitment necessary for ensuring that work is completed in line with challenging schedule requirements whilst maintaining a clean, safe working environment.
Main duties and responsibilities will include:-
- General departmental duties e.g. record maintenance, model storage, organization of equipment, rig maintenance, etc.;
- Working within a team environment in the preparation and assembly of models and rigs for testing to defined quality standards, giving consideration to schedule and costs;
- Maintenance, calibration and quality control of specialist rigs, facilities and associated equipment;
- Preparation and installation of specialist optical measurement systems in test facilities;
- Operating the main Transonic Wind Tunnel.
- Operating complementary test facilities.
- Making recommendations for design, process or hardware modifications to support continuous improvement.
- Operation and development of aerodynamic test facilities, rigs and equipment, including the operation of control systems directly associated with the facilities and specialist rigs;
Undertaking training, where necessary, in support of the above duties, to ensure that safe working practices are observed (e.g. forklift, facility operation, manual handling, confined spaces, etc.).
Full training will be given in all of the specialist activities associated with this position.
The successful candidate will be an experienced time served technician, preferably educated to HNC/HND Mechanical Engineering level (or equivalent) with experience of working in an R&D and/or commercial environment.
To succeed in this position, you must be flexible in your approach to working hours, which will require shift working, and able to respond quickly to a changing workload.
If you think you are the person we are looking for, please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your current salary, your suitability for this role as well as confirming your eligibility to work in the UK.
Please note the successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We recognize the value in an inclusive and diverse workforce and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.